W. DAVID DENTON
David Denton (Dave) is a 1969 graduate of the UK College of Law. A native of Somerset, Kentucky, he moved to Paducah upon graduating law school. In Paducah, he quickly made a name for himself not only as a premier attorney but also as a business and civic leader. In 1979 he founded one of the largest and most diverse law firms in the western Kentucky region. He currently serves as the managing attorney of the Denton Law Firm and oversees management operations and professional development of the firm. With Dave’s wealth of knowledge and over 50 years of legal experience, the firm greatly values his leadership.
Dave’s business and civic accomplishments are noteworthy. He was the attorney and an organizing investor for the formation of Paducah Bank Shares, Inc., a holding company that owns and controls Paducah Bank & Trust Company, with offices in Paducah and Louisville. He has been involved as an investor, organizer and motivating force behind numerous real estate development projects and other highly successful business ventures during his career. He has served as the past chair of the Paducah-McCracken County Chamber of Commerce and the Greater Paducah Economic Development Council where he has been influential in economic development throughout the western Kentucky region. He is a former member of the Kentucky Council of Higher Education and is former Chair of the Commonwealth of Kentucky’s Executive Branch Ethics Commission. He was the long-term Chair of the Paducah-McCracken Public Library Board of Trustees. Dave also takes great pride in his recent induction into the University of Kentucky College of Law Hall of Fame.
Having a passion for education, he successfully chaired a fundraising campaign which raised more than $8.4 million through private donations in Paducah for the construction of the University of Kentucky College of Engineering on the Paducah campus of West Kentucky Community and Technical College.
- Murray State University, B.S., 1964
- University of Kentucky, J.D., 1969
Admitted to Practice
- Kentucky, 1969
- S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- Administrative Law
- Business Corporations & Partnerships
- Contracts & Commercial Law
- United States Army, 1964-1966
- Attorney and an organizing investor for the formation of Paducah Bank Shares, , a locally owned, independent bank.
- Attended and participated in arbitration seminars, presented by the American Health Lawyers These seminars addressed various approaches for resolving medical/business disputes through the use of mediation and arbitration.
- Formerly served as local counsel for Bon Secours Mercy Health.
- As the past Chair of Greater Paducah Economic Development, David successfully guided a project known as Riverport West, acquiring options to purchase approximately 1,300 acres on the Ohio River for development as an intermodal industrial park.
- David served as outside counsel for the Paducah-McCracken County Riverport for over 30 years.
- David served as corporation counsel for the City of Paducah for over 40 years.
- Kentucky Bar Association
- McCracken County Bar Association
- AV Preeminent Rating with Martindale-Hubbell
- Kentucky Bar Association, Senior Counselor for 50 years practicing law, 2016
- 2014 CLE Award Recipient, Kentucky Bar Association
- Inducted into University of Kentucky College of Law Hall of Fame, 2014
- Director, Kentucky Humanities Council, 2013-2017
- Chair, Kentucky Executive Branch Ethics Commission
- Murray State University Regional Advisory Board, 2008-2009
- 2008 Kentucky Association of Electric Cooperatives, Inc. Twenty-Year Leadership and Service Award, November 2008
- Hero of the Red Cross, Paducah Chapter of the American Red Cross
- Rotarian of the Year, Rotary Club of Paducah
- Honored by McCracken County Public Library
- Chair, Greater Paducah Economic Development Council
- Director, Kentucky Bar Foundation, 2003-2010
- Life Fellow, Kentucky Bar Foundation, 2003
- Chair of the Lourdes Hospital Foundation Board, 2003-2005
- Law Advisor to the County Sheriff’s Merit Board, 2002
- City of Paducah, Distinguished Citizen Award, 2002
- Corporation Counsel, City of Paducah, 1972 to present
- Past President, Municipal Attorneys Association of Kentucky
- Past President, Paducah Area Chamber of Commerce
- Past President, Greater Paducah Industrial Development, Inc.
- Past President, Rotary Club of Paducah
- Past Chair, Easter Seals of West Kentucky, Inc.
- Past President, Country Club of Paducah
- Board of Directors, McCracken County Public Library
- Former Chair, Board of Trustees, McCracken County Public Library, 13 years.
- Former Member, Kentucky Council of Higher Education
- Former Director, Kentucky Hospital Attorney Association
- President, McCracken County Bar Association, 1994-95
- Secretary, Paducah Bank Shares, Inc., 1981-Present
- Member, Board of University of Kentucky Law Visiting Committee
- Chair, Paducah Community College Engineering Gift Campaign, 1995
- Chair, Paducah Community College Challenger Space Center Gift Campaign
- US Naval War College. Civilian Participant, 1996
- USAF Air War College. Civilian Participant, 1995
- Boss of the Year, International Association of Administrative Professionals, 1984
- Director, The Paducah Bank and Trust Company, 1978-Present
- Member, Kentucky Advocates for Higher Education
- Director, Kentucky Western Waterways
- Member, Corporate Compliance Committee (Mercy Health Kentucky-Indiana Region)
- Member/Finance Chair, West Kentucky Regional Roundtable